The first step is the hardest. Ring us now to get free help on 09-280-4348 or 0800-891-339.
Free Literacy Lessons
- Volunteer coaches help our students with reading, writing and spelling.
- Coaches talk with the students by phone or Skype for 30 minutes a day, for 3-5 days a week.
- There is nowhere in NZ that is too far away for us to help you.
To become a student, you need to live in a rural area anywhere in NZ where you can’t get to an adult literacy centre, or to be isolated by other circumstances.
Catchup Literacy Camps for High School Students
- Camps are run during school holidays. Over time the Trust expects to provide camps for both girls and boys and for junior secondary school level (years 9-10) as well as senior secondary school students (years 11-13).
- The pilot programme being run in 2018 is limited by funding to 30 boys from years 11-13.
- The camps are free to the families. We ask schools to make a donation of $100 per student but this is not mandatory.
- In 2018 camp sponsors are Waikato District Council.
Workplace Literacy Tuition
- Workplaces can access the free literacy service.
- Should a company require a literacy tuition service tailored for its own situation, we can provide a tutor on a cost-recovery-only basis, which currently works out at around $60 per hour plus travel.
Literacy Hubs in Your Community
We collaborate with other community organisations to provide free adult literacy tuition for their local community. You can start a hub with just one student.We can:
- Provide you with volunteer literacy coaches OR train your own volunteers to be literacy coaches.
- Provide supervision and mentoring for the coaches – yours or ours.
- Provide access to online practice software to speed up learning.
What the other organisation contributes:
- The people, the place, the computers and the internet
- A designated liaison person